According to IT specialists, the process of building a local network is only the third part of the design work. The second stage is to carry out configuration settings, the first is to ensure the security of the local network. Each enterprise needs to maintain the privacy of information that is transmitted through various channels or stored within the corporate system itself. If you are concerned about network security in your enterprise and are looking for a reliable provider of cybersecurity compliance services, this article is for you.
Why Is Security Necessary?
Goals largely depend on the individual situation. But there are three main ones that are typical for all cases.
- Prevention of any attempts to change the information, keeping it unchanged.
- Ensuring the confidentiality of all entered data.
- Availability of all actions and preservation of the ability to conduct operations.
- Ensuring immutability ensures that if hackers break into the PC operating system, the files will not be destroyed. It is also impossible to change their contents and replace the original files.
Confidential information includes the following information:
- information that constitutes a trade secret;
- personal data of authorized users;
- list of logins, and passwords;
- documentation that is in the internal use of the company;
- accounting reports;
- saved work correspondence;
- photo and video footage, observations;
- other important information.
Such files are of particular interest to criminals and competitors, as they can be used not only to steal funds but also to disclose data for personal purposes.
There is another issue that arises when performing security actions: ensuring availability. Servers, printers, workstations, critical files, and other resources must be in a state of round-the-clock access for all users.
How Cybercriminals Hack Local Networks
To execute arbitrary code, extract the necessary information, and discredit the websites of their “victims”, it is enough to penetrate the external perimeter of the local area network. This becomes possible for a number of reasons:
- incorrect account and password management policy;
- vulnerabilities in the software used, the use of outdated web applications;
- lack of knowledge of employees who are not programmers in the field of information security;
- incorrect access control policy between different users.
Contrary to popular belief, hackers rarely take advantage of understudied “zero-day vulnerabilities” and prefer to work with much simpler methods. Thus, using the Telnet, SSH, RSH, RDP protocols, and special software like Radmin and Hydra, attackers carry out attacks on credential brute force. Sometimes even IP address filtering doesn’t help: skilled hackers know how to bypass it. And the system administrators themselves often use too simple, primitive logins and passwords.
An attack on the local networks of enterprises can also be carried out through compromised administrative accounts. For example, by changing the extension, hackers can load the web console and execute arbitrary code remotely.
Another possibility for an attacker is SQL injection. With this, certain changes are made to the database, which allows hackers to gain administrative rights or perform other illegal actions.
The best results are often achieved by hackers using social engineering methods. For example, an attacker can call a bank employee, and posing as a support service employee, find out the desired logins and passwords.
Often, in addition to this, phishing is used when asking to go to the attacker’s website, like two drops of water similar to the official resource.
All security measures must be worked out in advance, formulated in the form of a plan. One of the most important points is the prevention of force majeure situations.
To ensure protection, physical barriers are created to the penetration of intruders to the equipment. The company should establish control over all system resources. Cryptographic transformation of information for the purpose of masking is carried out when it is transmitted over communication lines over long distances. The final stage is the creation of a set of safety rules, forcing all employees of the organization to comply with them.
Mainly, the security of local networks depends on software tools. These include:
- Firewalls. These are intermediate elements of a computer network that serve to filter incoming and outgoing traffic. The risk of unauthorized access to information is reduced.
- Proxy servers. They restrict routing between the global and local parts of the network.
- VPN. These solutions allow information to be transmitted over encrypted channels.
- Different sets of protocols are needed to create a secure connection and establish control over the elements of the local network. These applications, built into the operating system and specialized, encrypt data. Data delimits the flow of information.
IDS And IPS For Online Data Protection
Intrusion Detection System (IDS) is a software or hardware tool designed to detect the facts of unauthorized access to a computer system (network), or unauthorized control of such a system. In the simplest case, such a system helps detect network port scans of your system or attempts to enter the server. In the first case, this indicates the attacker’s initial reconnaissance, and in the second case, attempts to hack into your server. You can also detect attacks aimed at the escalation of privileges in the system, unauthorized access to important files, as well as the actions of malicious software. Advanced network switches allow you to connect an intrusion detection system using port mirroring or through traffic taps.
An intrusion Prevention System (IPS) is a software or hardware security system that actively blocks intrusions as they are detected. If an intrusion is detected, suspicious network traffic can be automatically blocked, and a notification about this is immediately sent to the administrator.
Corporate network protection is a rather complex topic, data protection methods should be constantly optimized. It is also important for companies to pay attention to user training, periodic independent information security audits, and the creation and enforcement of a sound information security policy. If you are looking for a reliable provider of cybersecurity compliance services, we recommend that you contact UnderDefense. The company provides business support in preparing for compliance with modern cybersecurity requirements. In addition, the company provides penetration testing and incident response services.